Skateboarding might look simple, but there are lots of small pieces that make the skating experience whole. You might not know, but even the pants you wear during skating can make a massive difference in comfort, protection, and even your movement.
So, today, I have put together this list of the best dickies skate pants for my fellow skaters. Let’s have a look.
What type of pants are suitable for skateboarding
There are several types of pants available on the market for skating. Skating pant choice is an entirely subjective matter, and everyone has a preference of their own.
However, assuming you are a beginner, here is a minor breakdown of different types of pants skateboarding.
You might also know them as chinos. They are a modern-day choice with a slim fit, which might not seem ideal. However, the soft and stretchy fabric makes up for the slimness.
Baggies bring back the 80s nostalgia with a super loose fit and lots of room for your legs. Baggies will be suitable if you want lots of pockets and do not rely on fabric stretch.
Cargo pants are the most balanced option out of different skate pants types. They have a balanced fit, are stretchy, and lightweight with tons of pockets.
Jeans are another modern-day choice among skaters made of denim fabric. Though the protection is excellent, the breathability and break-in period is somewhat questionable.
So, it depends on your preference.
Which Dickies pants are suitable for skateboarding
Dickies offers different types of pants for their customers. Other materials, styles, fits, and sizes are available, and not all of them might be suitable for skateboarding.
As far as fitting go, you can opt for anything like loose, regular, or slim-fit; the softness and stretch will make up for the fit.
However, as far as type goes, you should avoid the shorts as they lack protection.
Lets discuss Dickies pants in details bellow-
1. Dickies Men’s Relaxed Fit Workhorse Jean
Jeans might not be on top of your skate pant choice, but this Dickie has everything right regarding style statement. Jeans are a little restrictive and take time to break-in.
- Heavy duty brass zipper
- Rivets at all stress points
However, you cannot deny the protection you’ll get from these relaxed-fit workhorse jeans.
These jeans are made of 100% cotton, so the ultimate softness and breathability are there. Additionally, the high-quality zipper and rivets at stress points make these jeans a true example of durable skate jeans.
Finally, a wide range of sizes is available, so you don’t have to worry about the fitting.
This pair of jeans are extra comfortable to wear. On top of that, a protective membrane is in the knee area to protect your knees.
- Made of 100% cotton
- Comfortable wearing experience
- A protective membrane on the knees
- Deep pockets to carry necessary items
- Compatible for multipurpose use
- Not the most stylish pair
- The pockets could have better placements
2. Dickies Men’s Skinny Straight-Fit Work Pant
If you are not a big fan of jeans, you might want to look at these skinny dickies. As the name suggests, this one has a slim fit that’ll look stylish as a part of your skate attire.
The pant features a two-piece waistband with tunnel belt loops.
- CLASSIC WORKWEAR: These lower-rise pants are crafted from a durable wrinkle-resistant poly/cotton twill work cloth w/ 1% Spandex for just the right amount of give. Spandex stretch fabric helps increase their durability for easy care stain resistant style.
- DISTINCTIVE FIT: These pants provide comfort with a skinny straight fit that sits below the waist and is snug through the seat and thigh. They're designed with our classic 2-piece waistband with tunnel belt loops, plus a convenient extra pocket on the leg
Regarding the material, I like the idea of a cotton blend. The 1% addition of spandex creates the perfect balance of comfort and stretch for the users. This stretch ultimately helps to maintain durability.
Even the fabric inside the pockets feels impressive, which shows the Cherokee’s attention to detail. If you are a fan of skinny pants for skating, you’ll fall in love with these pants in no time.
- Excellent stretch thanks to the spandex and cotton blend
- High-quality pockets with ample space
- Different sizes and colors are available
- Great bang for the buck
- Shrinks after machine wash
- Some of the colors fade away
3. Dickies Women’s GenFlex Cargo Scrubs Pant
There are plenty of options available regarding skate pants for men. However, Dickie’s effort to offer the same variety and range can be seen through these fantastic scrub pants for women.
- CONTEMPORARY FIT, SIZES UP TO 5XL - Dickies Gen Flex medical womens cargo pants have the sizes you want and the work features you need. Available in sizes from XXS to 5XL plus Petite and Tall inseams. Our Contemporary fit (also known as junior fit) lower rise womens scrubs pants are designed for comfort, style, and maximum durability. Sporty knee seams and motion knee darts. Wider, straight leg. Regular inseam = 30 ½”. (Underscrub sold separately.)
- STYLISH CONTRAST STITCHING - Multi-needle contrast stitching elevates the look of Gen Flex scrubs, bringing sporty detailing to your work wardrobe. These stretchy Dickies cargo pants feature contrast stitching on most colors. White uses white multi-needle stitching. Check your color selection for details. These are Dickies scrubs women will wear again and again.
- ADJUSTABLE DRAWSTRING WAIST - These womens scrub pants have a webbed drawstring front tie and all-around inside elastic waistband for an adjustable and secure fit. The lower rise waistband provides an updated look without any modesty concerns. Belt loops for increased functionality. These Gen Flex medical scrubs for women are a favorite among healthcare workers. Plus size scrubs for women available.
- NINE POCKETS, PEN HOLDERS, BUNGEE LOOP - Style 857455 features a total of nine pockets to store your stuff: There are two roomy front pockets, each layered with an exterior pockets, plus two cargo pockets (the right with a triple pen holder), utility pocket on right leg, and two back pockets. Left front pocket has a bungee ID badge loop while right front exterior pocket has a functional tab with snap for secure storage. These are Dickies pants women can wear on the go and stay organized.
The pant features a straight-leg design. As for the closures, there is an elastic waist paired with the waistband.
This pant has a blend of cotton polyester and spandex, bringing comfort, stretch, and protection to the table together. This cargo pant also has several pockets around to help carry necessary stuff.
These pockets are one of the reasons why women skaters adore these dickies. In addition, the pant fitting is loose and flexible, which is excellent in case you gain weight in the future.
- A perfect blend of comfort, stretch, and protection
- A lot of pockets around
- Easy closure with waistband elastic waist
- Multi-layer stitching for added durability
- Available in different sizes and colors
- It looks a bit like bell-bottom pants
- Nor for users with a large waist or hips
Dickies Men’s Loose-Fit Cargo Work Pant
I am again back to the classic dickies territories with these fantastic loose-fitting cargo pants. Cargo pants are arguably the most popular choice as skate pants, and these polyester-made pants showed us why.
- Sits at waist; roomier in seat and thigh; straight leg
- 8.5 oz. Twill; 100% Cotton
- Flat front
- Pleated cargo pockets
The pant is super durable thanks to the multi-layered stitching on pressure points. Next, several expandable pockets allow you to carry as much stuff as you need.
These pants will fit you perfectly if you have bigger thighs and hips. Many skaters might be concerned about 100% cotton used for these pants.
However, let me assure you the breathability and comfort is very much intact for your skating sessions.
- Loose and baggy fit perfect for skating
- Durable pockets to hold heavy stuff
- Good breathability to wear in hot weather
- Button closure for a snug fit
- Plenty of rooms for bigger guys
- Not a good fit for skinny persons
- Some colors quickly get faded
How to measure dickies pants
Measuring dickies pants are pretty straightforward. However, these pants are a little different in shape and size than the conventional ones we wear.
So, the sizing guide to measure the pants is also slightly different.
On the Dickies website, there is an elaborate size chart to ensure that all the Dickies fans can choose the perfect size.
Can You Cuff Your dickie Pants like a Pro Skateboarder?
Yes, you absolutely can cuff your dickie pants like a pro skateboarder. There can be many reasons why someone might need to cuff their pants. Skaters back in the day mostly wore loose-fitting pants. Those pants were taller and therefore cuffed to adjust the height.
Sometimes, the cuffing becomes more about just a style statement. You can do thin or thick cuffs; both will look equally good.
What you must check before buying skate pants (guide)
Buying skate paint might look simple, but there are many little things to consider. Below I have discussed some crucial factors every skater should consider while buying a Dickie.
Fittings (872,873 & 874)
Before anything, the fit of the want must be perfect for you to wear it. You might be familiar with fittings like slim or loose fit, but in Dickies they are often indicated by numbers.
872 means the modern-day slim fit. The leg and thigh areas are the narrowest, and this has been arguably the most popular fitting in the last decade.
Then comes the 873, another slim fit with some touches of classic straight look. You can say it’s the perfect middle ground between 872 and 874. Many people love this straight leg instead of the slimmer 872.
Lastly, there is 874 taking us back to where it all started. So the 874 is the loose fit that made everyone fall in love with Dickens. Though this style is a bit old, you can always rock this baggiest fit for a taste of traditional dickies.
Material is another important consideration since it’s connected to other aspects of a dickie, like comfort and breathability. When it comes to choosing the material, the technique is simple.
Always try to pick cotton, or at least cotton mixed with polyester or spandex, for the best protection and stretch. As for jeans, denim fabric is your best bet.
The weight of the dickies might not look like making any difference, but it does. Even the slightest difference can bring a massive change in comfort and maneuverability. So make sure the dickies you are buying are lightweight. Heavier pants offer protection but often lack comfort.
So, ensure the weight has the perfect balance of comfort and protection.
Skate pants often go through abuse during extensive skate sessions. So, you must ensure that the pants you buy are durable enough to withstand that abuse.
For example, some pants have a double layer of stitching. Try to pick one of those, as they offer better tear resistance.
Also, cotton mixed with other materials provides better protection than pure cotton pants.
That’s a wrap for today.
A good skating experience needs comfortable clothes; skate pants are arguably essential to a skater’s clothing. Now that you know about the best dickies for skating, getting the utmost comfort during skating won’t be an issue for you.
Moreover, the buying guide will help you narrow down your options.
Hi, this is Jerry, a skateboarder, who loves to talk about micro-mobility and future of that industry. Coming from motion engineering background, I am very enthusiast about speed, motion, balance and technology. I have taken a mission to carry the fuel free, environment friendly micro-mobile industry forward by educating people about micro-mobile products especially skateboards and longboards. I love skating around very much and encourage people to do so. Its a fun believe me.