Custom skateboards and paintings can make you unique among hundreds of skateboarders skating in your nearby skate park. Also, who doesn’t admire great artwork on a skateboard deck?
As much as we love a good painting, protecting it can be tricky in the long run without proper guidance and products.
My guide here will show you how you can coat your skateboard and stylish longboard the right way with the reviews of some of the best coating products to protect your skateboard graphics.
Our Top Three Picks Of Best Clear Coat For Skateboard And Longboard
Detailed Review On Best Clear Coat For Skateboard And Longboard
1. Aleene’s 26412 Spray Gloss (Best For Acrylic Paint Coating)
Aleene is a renowned brand for manufacturing some of the best painting accessories like spray paint and paint sealer.
Their acrylic sealers are one of the best in the business, and for your skateboard, We introduce you to Aleene’s 26412 gloss variant. Of course, you can also choose the matt version if you want, but I think the gloss finish will look better on the skateboard.
As we mentioned before, none of these coating sprays are made explicitly for skateboards.
However, according to Aleene, this gloss spray finish works on surfaces like wood, paint, plastic, or even fiberglass, which covers all the materials used for skateboard decks.
As per the ingredients list, this gloss spray doesn’t contain any CFCs, and that’s a significant advantage this glossy pain sealer has over its competitors in terms of health hazards.
I don’t know about you, but I love those coatings that dry quickly, and Aleene’s 26412 spray gloss paint is one of those first drying sealers. In a matter of minutes, it gets dried without compromising the quality of the seal and protection.
Besides skateboards, you can also use them for different purposes, both indoor and outdoor.
What We Liked
- The spray-on formula gives an even paint
- Contains no CFCs
- Super-fast drying
- Compatibility on different surfaces
What We Didn’t Like
- Not very suitable for indoor use because of the strong smell
2. Rust-Oleum 264985 Specialty Clear Triple Thick Spray (Best For Skateboard Coating)
Manufactured with solvent-based acrylic resin, Rust-Oleum is another great clear coating spray that will protect your paint and give it a glossy finish simultaneously.
Like most other clear coatings on the market, this one works on different surfaces, including wood, metal, wicker, plastic, and glass.
Apart from the surfaces, it’s suitable for a wide range of paints like acrylics, oils, watercolors, and inkjet prints. So, no matter which material your deck is made of or which paint you have used on it, Rust-Oleum gives you the best protection and finish possible.
According to the manufacturer, one can of this gloss paint cover about 10-12 sq. feet surface, which is impressive for a 12 oz. Can. You can use this on at least three skateboards before it runs out.
For optimal results, try to apply two to three gentle coats a few minutes gap instead of sprays vigorously.
Last, you can apply this gloss finish onto other items that you use both outdoors and indoors. The coating will offer protection from scratches and stains, keeping the painting on the skateboard shiny for an extended period.
What We Liked
- It creates a fire-glazed glossy look without any heat
- It works on different surfaces and paints
- Great coverage for the can size
What We Didn’t Like
- Some units have an issue with smooth spraying
3. Krylon K01305 (Best Skateboard Deck Protector)
I’m starting the list with something I personally use. Used initially to varnish acrylic paintings, Krylon K01305 is one of the finest products you can find on the market.
Krylon used the same formula of a natural varnish for this product, except there are no impurities or discoloration here.
The most crucial feature of Krylon K01305 to me is its versatility. The protection it provides is fantastic, but the versatility is one feature that gives it the upper hand over other clear coating products.
No matter what your deck is made of, whether it’s fiberglass, wood, or plastic, this coating spray will save your skateboard graphics from fading and wearing out.
It works on any water, oil, or acrylic paint simultaneously, allowing you to rework them too when needed. Once applied, it dries out within ten minutes and doesn’t drip afterward, which is another great feature.
This coating spray is also resistant to moisture, smudge-proof, and UV protected, so water, any harsh use, or weather condition isn’t going to be an issue once you use this clear coating aerosol.
Skateboarders doing different tricks like flipping tricks on skateboard, needs very strong clear coat to protect their skateboard graphics. This one serves best in that case.
What We Liked
- Moisture and UV restart
- Dries very quickly
- It doesn’t get yellow overtime
- Easy to use with the sprayer
What We Didn’t Like
- Powerful chemical smell not suitable for indoor
4. US Art Supply Clear Gloss (Best For Gloss On Deck)
Next up on my list is US art supply’s clear gloss topcoat acrylic airbrush paint. Unlike Krylon’s product, this one is pretty new in the market, yet hundreds of good reviews indicate how good this product is.
Instead of a protective coating, this one focuses more on giving the surface a refined glossy look. This topcoat will also help you maintain the consistency and flow of the deck painting and enhance the colors.
This item, too, can be used on multiple surfaces like wood plastic or fiberglass, so compatibility with the skateboard deck isn’t going to be an issue with this gloss topcoat. US art supply uses high-quality acrylic resin with lightfast pigments so that you get the best finish within few minutes of applying.
The colors are non-toxic and meet ASTM D-4236 standard, ensuring that it’s safe to use without any health risk. Lastly, the application is relatively simple, and you can use either a brush or pour it into a sprayer bottle to use it.
All you have to do is paint or spray in light coating over your deck graphics painting, and this fantastic product will provide you the glossiest and most porous finish in no time.
What We Liked
- Straight forward application
- Environment friendly with excellent color retention
- Usable straight out of the bottle
- Works on almost any surface
What We Didn’t Like
- Using with airbrush often gives inconsistent results
Benefits Of Coating Skateboard Deck
There are a significant advantage of coating skateboard deck with clear coat. They are :
- Clear coat makes an upper layer on paints that provide paintings sustainability and strength and makes the paint long lasting
- Applying clear coat on wooden deck makes the deck look shinny and glossy
- Clear coating creates a double protection system so that the paint can not be easily stained from the deck
- The clear coat protects the deck from rain and make it invulnerable to get rotten
- Clear coat protect the deck from being vandalized while it comes in contact with fire
How To Protect Skateboard Graphics
The graphics design on custom skateboards definitely makes them more appealing and unique among different pre-painted complete skateboards.
Pre-painted and complete boards mostly come with protection applied by the manufacturers, but it’s a totally different story for custom-painted boards.
Being unique comes at the cost of protecting the graphics all the time. So to keep the graphics intact for a long time, make sure to:
- Use high-quality paint; it’ll get you a long way to protect the graphics
- Apply clear protective coating to prevent weather, stain damage and make it glossy
- Store your board in a dry place
- Try to avoid skateboarding when it’s raining or wet
How Do You Clear Coat A Skateboard Step By Step
All these coating sprays or gloss liquids come in either spray cans or bottles. Now, I will not debate overspray and brush because both are great if used properly. However, spray cans are easier to use as you can use them right out of the box without pouring and applying them with a brush.
So that you can use both spray and brush, I am going to demonstrate both methods for you. So follow the steps below for the best result using a spray can or brush.
How To Clear Coat With A Spray Can
- Step 1: First thing to do if it’s custom graphics is that you let it dry properly.
- Step 2: After the graphics on the deck are completely dry, wipe it off with a clean cloth to remove any loose paint or dust.
- Step 3: Place the board on a parallel surface so that the clear coat cannot drip or you don’t get an uneven coating
- Step 4: Before using the coating spray, shake it as much as possible, preferably for a minute or two. Trust me; the even finish will be worth the extra time.
- Step 5: Start applying the coating keeping an even distance from the board all the time.
- Step 6: For the best possible outcome, apply it in 2-3 layers so that you don’t miss any spot on the board surface. After you are finished, let it dry properly.
How To Clear Coat With A Brush
- Step 1: Getting a good brush is a crucial factor to brush coating effectively. Choose a brush not too broad or narrow, preferably a two-inch brush.
- Step 2: Let the skateboard dry completely after the painting is done, wipe it off, and lay it on a flat surface.
- Step 3: Start by applying long even strokes across the skateboard; try to cover the entire length with a single stroke.
- Step 4: Now that you are done applying across the length, starting working side by side from left to right, overlapping previous strokes.
- Step 5: Don’t reapply the coat on an area you have already done before. If you can’t decide whether you worked on a particular area, let it dry, and you’ll see if you have coated that area before.
Step 6: Try to apply in thin layers. Always remember that three thin layers are always better than one thick layer. Upon completion, let the board dry properly
All the products I mentioned above are used to clear coat skateboards in different communities, and in the right hands, they can produce excellent results. However, if you want the desired outcome, you also need to use these clear coat sprays effectively.
Now that you have read my article, I am glad to help you protect your skateboard graphics the right way and get long-term protection.
Hi, this is Jerry, a skateboarder, who loves to talk about micro-mobility and future of that industry. Coming from motion engineering background, I am very enthusiast about speed, motion, balance and technology. I have taken a mission to carry the fuel free, environment friendly micro-mobile industry forward by educating people about micro-mobile products especially skateboards and longboards. I love skating around very much and encourage people to do so. Its a fun believe me.