Penny board is a tiny board sometimes made of wood but plastic in most cases. It is lovable to riders because of its lightweight and cheap price. Riding on a penny board needs balancing proficiency and speed controlling skills.
You need to stand very gently and technically on a penny board thanks to its tiny construction. Now the question is how to stop on a penny board.
Well we are going to answer that question briefly in this guide.
Let’s dive deep into it.
Best Ways To Stop Penny Board
Before reading the tips and practice, make sure you have protective body gears and head gears to save you from unexpected situations. Here is the list of tips to stop penny boarding.
Do not confuse the term Hop-off with telecommunication terminology. Hop-off in skateboarding is a trick of leaping off the board while riding. Do not mistake it as flip tricks with skateboard.
Basically it requires you to position your front foot on the head of the board, crunch your thighs a little and jump off the board straight and land on the ground on two feet.
This will cause your board to go forward, fur from you and it will keep going until it stumbles to something or stops naturally for gravitational force.
It should be done only if you have no other way out or you are going at a speed that you can’t control the board or someone/something is coming in front of you so to avoid collision you must jump off.
- Do not try this while going downhill. Do not try this on busy roads where vehicles frequently move. And also do not do that otherwise you don’t have any options left.
- Keep pace with the board and jump keeping the timing in mind.
- Wear protective gear like helmet, knee brace, elbow pads and shoes well.
2. Learning How To Footbrake On A Penny Board:
Foot braking is the most eligible way to stop your penny board. It requires your front foot to place straight toward the front direction and back foot slowly place on the ground causing friction between the shoe and the surface of the ground. It provides a safe & sound cessation on a penny board.
You need to slow down the board before applying the technique. If you are too fast (going 20+miles/hrs.) then this technique may cause damage to your leg’s ligament.
- A good penny boarding shoe can save you from being injured in this case. But you need to be careful about speed as penny boards leave little room on the board surface to try carving or other techniques easily done in longboarding or skateboarding.
3. Emergency Stop
This technique is a widely used one which allows you to stop the board in an emergency situation. It is somewhat similar to foot brakes but different in execution.
It requires you to place your back foot on the ground, stopping your body from going forward and to lift your front foot up in the air for a few seconds. It allows the board to go forward until placing the front foot back on the tail of the board before the board goes further.
It cannot be used if you are riding in too speedy mode. As in high speed mode, if you lift your front foot and place your back foot on the ground, the board will go the furthest way and you will lose your board (not literally).
- You should practice speed riding regularly and learn to catch the board with your foot going at a definite speed. You may play soccer to practice this catching technique (only receive the ball with feet and don’t shoot ha ha).
- Another way is you should ride within a suggested speed limit and slow down before doing that technique.
4. Heel Dragging:
One of the reliable methods of stopping penny boards especially in downhill going. It is a method where you put your front foot straight toward the front direction and swing your back toe off the tail of the board.
And then put your back heel on the ground lifting the front wheels up. This will make a friction on the ground with shoe rubber and stop the board. This one is a very effective technique for the penny board to stop.
You need to choose trucks carefully for this tricks. Because bad quality trucks will get damaged while grinding on the surface. So choose high good trucks.
- Don’t let the board tail touch the ground. Dragging the tail can damage the board tail as the penny board is made of plastic.
- Wear a good quality skate shoe with well padding and vulc sole system. So that sliding do not cause too much damage to the shoe
5. Power Slide:
Power slide is a technique that requires you to force your body weight on the center of the board and turn both feet together to enforce power on the wheel and let the board turn 90 degrees.
While doing that you need to ensure that your both feet are positioned parallel to each other on the board in a vertical axis and put pressure on board simultaneously to make the board slide smoothly. This one is very useful, while going downhill, to stop the board.
Though it can cause damage to the wheels, keep some tips in mind:
- Do not do that on rough terrain. That will cause damage to your wheels.
- Make sure your penny board trucks are loose enough to turn and penny bearings are lubricated enough to roll the wheels smoothly.
- Wear shoes with vulc sole so that you control over traction
- choose slide friendly wheels for better result
What You Shouldn’t Do On Penny Board
Well, while you are penny boarding you should keep in mind that it is not a longboard or skateboard in the sense of practicing different tricks. You should not do:
1. Hill Bomb:
Hill bomb is going downhill from hill peak through the slope of the terrain downward. It is sometimes called a dangerous maneuver especially for beginners.
And if you are penny boarding things become more complex as you can’t control the speed on the penny board in hill bomb and may fall off the board.
So, hill bomb is prohibited in penny boarding
2. Leap Off The Board:
Jumping off the penny board while going at a speed, if you ride downhill, is strongly prohibited. As you may break your leg or may encounter a severe injury doing so. Longboarder’s do such things doing tricks for example hard flip but on penny board it is not a good idea to do so
3. Don’t Exceed 20 miles/hour:
Do not cross the speed limit over 20 miles per hour. Because it will cause the first wobble happen and if your penny board wheels are not strong enough you may fall off the board tearing the deck apart
4. Don’t Get Panicked:
Last but not least, do not get panicked at all. Not only in penny boarding but in any adventurous game you should not get dreaded. It reduces confidence and converts potential success into failure.
Before finishing we again want to remember to you that not all tricks are applicable for beginner riders. Don’t try hard tricks in the beginning of the riding experience and also try to choose smooth terrain, free of traffic roads to practice penny board.
As penny boards unlike cruiser board or longboards are tiny boards, stay away from racing with that and do not practice “don’ts” mentioned above to keep yourself or your children safe.
Hi, this is Jerry, a skateboarder, who loves to talk about micro-mobility and future of that industry. Coming from motion engineering background, I am very enthusiast about speed, motion, balance and technology. I have taken a mission to carry the fuel free, environment friendly micro-mobile industry forward by educating people about micro-mobile products especially skateboards and longboards. I love skating around very much and encourage people to do so. Its a fun believe me.